Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Haphazard Health History—Addendum

ADVAIR DISCUS 500/50 - BRAND NEW IN THE BOXWhen I wrote My Haphazard Health History post, I mentioned that I was due for a healthcare crisis this year since the last one was five years ago. However, I didn't remember that I have already experienced my health issue for this particular period of time. (Yay, at least it's over!)

On October 25, 2009, the day after I participated in Thrill the World, I came down with a bad chest cold that quickly progressed into bronchial pneumonia. Even though I was prone to bronchitis in college, having it four times in two years (and no, I don't smoke), it had never gotten into my lungs. This time was different; I was ill for two solid months. I thought I was getting better after three weeks, and then BAM, it kicked my ass again just before Thanksgiving. I went through three cycles of two antibiotics, and I also tried two types of inhalers. The second one, Advair, actually did the trick. Unfortunately, Advair has some unpleasant side effects. It caused me to gain weight, mainly in my mid-section. Although weight gain is not listed as a common side effect of Advair, constipation and hypothyroidism are "less common" side effects and both can cause you to put on the pounds. I did some research, and despite Advair's official report, many people complain about weight gain. One man gained 30 pounds in 30 days while taking a high dosage of Advair. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

I cannot believe that I forgot about being sick since my post-pneumonia bloated belly is what motivated me to start my EMAO experiment. I am grateful that Advair finally cleared up my pneumonia, but I am less than thrilled about my expanded tummy. I have already taken the "Before" pictures, but I don't have the courage to post them yet. I will though; I promise.

AWW – XoXo

P.S. Note to self: do not write blog when experiencing a migraine because you are bound to forget important information.

    Share/Save/Bookmark

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    The information in this blog is not intended as a substitute for professional health care. Please consult your doctor before beginning any diet or exercise program.