Saturday, April 10, 2010

Testing Skechers Shape-Ups

As promised, I bought a pair of Women's Skechers Shape-Ups, and I have been trying them out for the past two weeks. One of the things I like most about Skechers as a brand is their consistency; their size 7 sneakers always fit my wide feet. However, Shape-Ups tend to run large so I don't recommend buying them online like I did. Right now, I have to wear thick cotton socks and tie the shoelaces tight to ensure that the shoes don't slip off. I would have exchanged them, but my right foot is slightly bigger than my left foot so going down a half size probably would not have worked for both feet.

Aside from fit, Shape-Ups are comfortable. You can tell by looking at the picture just how much cushion there is underneath the sole of your foot. My high arches are so well protected that I don't need to insert an additional innersole.

Walking in Shape-Ups requires some learning, and each pair comes with a mini-booklet and a DVD that explains how to walk in this innovative tennis shoe. I don't have any problems walking forward, but when I stand, my feet sometimes wobble from side to side. Shape-Ups will force you to work on your balance, and if you have a tendency to pronate, you will need to make an extra effort to center your weight in these shoes.

Initially, I couldn't tell much of a difference when I exercised in my Shape-Ups, but yesterday I put them to the test. During a "Learning to Love LA (again)" day, I walked 4.95 miles in my Shape-Ups, as I enjoyed the sites of downtown Los Angeles and the Museum of Contemporary Art's latest exhibition. I wore my Shape-Ups for seven solid hours, and by mid-day, my feet were sore even though the terrain was mostly flat. Last night, my inner thighs were burning. I can only contribute the pain to the Skechers because I know walking in regular tennis shoes would not have caused it. While they may not be able to do everything that they claim, Shape-Ups are shaping up to be my new favorite walking shoes.

AWW – XoXo

P.S. According to my research, the only difference among the Skechers Shape-Ups is style, not construction. I own the Fitness Junkie Sneakers Silver/White.

    Share/Save/Bookmark

    4 comments:

    1. Here is an excellent review all about Rocker Soles, well worth viewing before you try these products:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20mc99zOiwc

      ReplyDelete
    2. thanks for sharing this blog
      really very nice and informative
      I always like skechers shapes up

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love skechers especially shape up

      ReplyDelete
    4. Just bought my first pair of Shape-ups today. My back pain immediately vanished! Your blog is most informative. Only thing is I feel a tad unconfident in them with the rocking motion. I find they run big and had to tie mine super tight. I bought my usual size 9, but really tightened laces. I triple knotted each just to be safe. Good luck! Amanda

      ReplyDelete

     

    The information in this blog is not intended as a substitute for professional health care. Please consult your doctor before beginning any diet or exercise program.